The submission period has now passed, and the results will be announced in mid to late May. Below are the guidelines, for reference.
SOHO20 seeks project based submissions for the 2016/2017 Exhibition Season, running September 2016 – May 2017. SOHO20’s +/- Project Space features one work, project or performance by an artist or group at a time. Focusing on works that are either ephemeral, performative, or site-specific, artists are chosen to participate in the project space based on their artistic process rather than product. Highlighting the works and practices of emerging artists, the +/- Project Space exhibitions will run concurrently with the regular exhibition season, opening about once per month. SOHO20 cannot pay for travel or shipping of works.
To apply, please read below carefully, and follow the link at the bottom of the page to begin your submission.
Deadline: Thursday, April 21, 2016 – before midnight Eastern Time.
SOHO20’s +/- Project Space is a 9 x 9 foot room (with a 3.5 foot doorway opening) adjacent to our two main gallery areas. Located within the 56 Bogart building in Bushwick, Brooklyn, SOHO20 is nestled in the center of the Bushwick art scene, neighboring many other gallery spaces and artist studios.
- SOHO20’s 2016 +/- Project Space is open to emerging and mid-career artists.
- Applications are open to artists and groups of all genders, but in keeping with SOHO20’s mission, projects by women identified and non-binary artists will be given preference.
- Preference will also be given to applications that consider process and time as an integral part of the project.
- Artists who have previously had solo exhibitions at SOHO20 (including +/- Project Space exhibitions) must wait two years before reapplying.
- The +/- Project Space is open to collaborative proposals.
- If possible, artists are encouraged to visit SOHO20’s gallery space in order to further understand the possibilities and limitations of the space.
Please be ready to submit the following:
- Bio or CV (if this is a collaborative project, make sure that all CV’s or Bios are saved as one file).
- Proposal statement (no more than 1 page) outlining your plans for the space, both concept details and relevant logistics.
- Artist statement (no more than 1 page) that more generally explains your work.
- Up to five (5) images of past work.
- Up to five (5) images related to your proposal. These could be mock-ups, sketches, diagrams, or related works. All images should be formatted in the following way:
- Up to two (2) videos, no longer than five minutes each. These videos must be submitted through a link that is available to stream online. Please only send artwork, or videos of time related works. Please refrain from sending exhibition documentation.
- Image list (no longer than one page) with the titles and details of all of the images and videos that were submitted.
A $20 application fee is required with each application. This fee is covers basic administrative costs and will compensate juror(s). This must be paid online in order for your submission to be complete.
A panel of both SOHO20 artist members, staff, and outside jury member(s) will review applications and select finalists. Artists will be selected based on the overall quality of their past work, creativity in working with the space, and feasibility of the proposed projects. Finalists will be contacted to discuss their projects and proposed timeline before the final selection is made. All finalists must be available to for a follow-up discussion in order to be considered for an exhibition in the +/- Project Space.
Online Applications must be submitted by Thursday, April 21, 2016 before midnight, Eastern Time.
Notifications of the results will be sent via e-mail within six weeks of the April 21 deadline. Please do not contact the gallery to check on the status of your application.
Please contact the gallery at: email@example.com or 718-366-3661