The deadline for this open call has passed. We will be announcing the winner(s) in the beginning to middle of May.
Below is information about the open call for reference.
SOHO20’s Residency Lab invites between one and three artists to take over our gallery space for one month in the summer. During this time, the gallery will remain open during normal hours, fostering dialogue and providing a platform for residents to engage with the visiting public. This program is designed to support alternative practices and facilitate the creation of new work, while offering opportunities for artists to experiment, collaborate, and engage in interactions with daily visitors. Due to the public nature of this program, proposals from artists who intend to use visitor engagement as part of the work will be privileged over those which do not.
SOHO20’s full exhibition space will be offered to selected artist(s) as a studio from July 7 – August 12, 2016. SOHO20 will remain open Thursday – Sunday, 12 to 6pm. The artist(s) must be available to work in the gallery during open hours at least 3 days a week. Selected artist(s) will have the opportunity to work with the gallery staff to develop an event during the residency, host an open studio at the close, and participate in the annual SOHO20 artist members’ group show the winter of the 2016/2017 exhibition season.Image: 2015 resident Katya Grokhovsky during her open studio and performance event: Unresolved.
DEADLINE: Sunday, April 10, 2016 – before midnight, Eastern Time.
Please read the following carefully before you begin your submission. The link to submit is at the bottom of the page.
THE GALLERY/ STUDIO
The gallery is located at 56 Bogart Street in Bushwick, Brooklyn, in the center of the active and vibrant Bushwick art scene, nested within a diverse community of non-profit, commercial and artist run spaces, as well as artist studios. The gallery is a workspace only, there is absolutely no living allowed. SOHO20 does not provide housing or transportation.
- SOHO20’s 2016 Residency Lab is open to emerging and mid-career artists, all genders, working in all disciplines.
- Artists should aim to keep a consistent schedule, and be able to commit to at least 3 days per week in the gallery/studio during open hours for the duration of the residency.
- All applicants must be residents of the United States or have a valid visa not expiring before the end of the program, 18 years or older and may not be enrolled in any degree seeking program at the time of starting the residency.
- Applicants may not be participating in another studio residency program at the same time as the SOHO20 Residency Lab.
- Applicants who have previously participated in a residency at SOHO20 are not elligible.
Please be ready to submit the following. Documents must be in .PDF; .DOC; .DOCX or .RTF form.
- An up-to-date CV
- Artist statement, describing your work and studio practice
- A statement (no more than one page) outlining your objectives during the residency. Please include: how your work would benefit from this program, how visitors might engage with your work, any details of the project(s) you will be working on, and (if applicable) the materials that you will be using.
- Up to 10 work samples in .JPEG; .PNG; or .TIFF format. Images should be no larger than 1MB. Each image file should be labeled as follows:
- Up to 3 video or sound files in .MOV; .MP4; .MPG or .MP3 format
- A work list corresponding to your uploaded work samples that lists the title, year, medium and dimensions of each work.
A $25 application fee is required with each application. This fee is covers basic administrative costs and will compensate juror(s). This must be paid online in order for your submission to be complete.
A panel of both SOHO20 artist members and outside jury member(s) will review applications and select finalists. Artists will be selected based on the quality of their work, feasibility of their projects, and demonstrated potential to actively utilize the studio as a space for interaction. Finalists will be contacted to discuss the work before the final selection is made. All finalists must be available to for a follow-up discussion in order to be considered for selection for the residency.
Online Applications will be available February 2, 2016 and must be submitted by the extended deadline of Sunday, April 10, 2016 before midnight, Eastern Time.
<< SUBMIT HERE >>
Notifications of the results will be sent via e-mail within six weeks of the extended April 10 deadline. Please do not contact the gallery to check on the status of your application.
contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 718-366-3661