SOHO20’s Residency Lab invites artists (or collaborative groups) to take over our gallery space for six weeks in the summer. During this time, the gallery will remain open for abbreviated hours and public events, fostering dialogue and providing a platform for residents to engage with the visiting public. This program is designed to support alternative practices and facilitate the creation of new work, while offering opportunities for artists to experiment, collaborate, and interact with visitors. Due to the public nature of this program, proposals from artists who intend to use visitor engagement as part of the work will be privileged over those which do not.
SOHO20’s full exhibition space will be offered to be shared between two selected artists/groups as a studio from July 6 – August 17, 2017. Working with each artist’s schedule, SOHO20 will remain open for a portion of each work week. The artist(s) must commit to work in the gallery a minimum of three (3) days per week, including during the open times, which will be decided on between each artist and the Gallery Director. Selected artists will work with the gallery staff to develop events during the residency, including an open studio event at the close.
As part of this program, residency artists will receive feedback from arts professionals in the form of studio visits during their stay. Participating artists will also be invited to contribute to SOHO20’s programming in the following exhibition season, either as an event, or participating in the annual group exhibition the winter.
DEADLINE: Saturday March 25, 2017 – before midnight, Eastern Time.
Please read the following carefully before you begin your submission. The link to submit is at the bottom of the page.
THE GALLERY/ STUDIO
The gallery is located at 56 Bogart Street in Bushwick, Brooklyn, in the center of the active and vibrant Bushwick art scene, nested within a diverse community of non-profit, commercial and artist run spaces, as well as artist studios. The gallery is a workspace only, there is absolutely no living allowed. SOHO20 does not provide housing or transportation.
- SOHO20’s 2016 Residency Lab is open to emerging and mid-career artists, working in all disciplines.
- We accept applications from all genders, but in keeping within SOHO20’s mission, applications from women, trans, and gender nonconforming individuals will be given preference.
- Artists should aim to keep a consistent schedule, and be able to commit to at least 3 days per week in the gallery/studio for the duration of the residency.
- All applicants must be residents of the United States or have a valid visa not expiring before the end of the program, 18 years or older and may not be enrolled in any degree seeking program at the time of starting the residency.
- Applicants may not be participating in another studio residency program at the same time as the SOHO20 Residency Lab.
- Applicants who have previously participated in a residency at SOHO20 are not eligible.
Please be ready to submit the following. Documents must be in .PDF; .DOC; .DOCX or .RTF form.
- An up-to-date CV
- A brief artist statement
- A proposal (no more than one page) outlining your objectives during the residency. Please include: how your work would benefit from this program, how visitors might engage with your work, any details of the project(s) you will be working on, the materials that you will be using, and any tech that is required (and whether you will provide the tech, or if you need SOHO20 to do so).
- A description of between 1-3 events that you propose to present during the residency (1-3 sentence description each). In this document, please include materials that you will need/use for each event, duration, and ideal capacity.
- Up to 10 images of past work in .JPEG; .PNG; or .TIFF format. Images should be no larger than 1MB. Each image file should be labeled as follows:
- Up to 3 video or audio files in .MOV; .MP4; .MPG or .MP3 format
- A work list corresponding to your uploaded work samples that lists the title, year, medium and dimensions of each work.
- Two references (with contact information).
A $20 application fee is required with each application. This fee is covers basic administrative costs and will compensate juror(s). This must be paid online in order for your submission to be complete.
A panel of both SOHO20 artist members and outside jury member(s) will review applications and select finalists. Artists will be selected based on the quality of their work, feasibility of their projects, and demonstrated potential to actively utilize the studio as a space for interaction. Finalists will be contacted to discuss the work before the final selection is made. All finalists must be available to for a follow-up discussion in order to be considered for selection for the residency.
Online applications will be available January 15, 2017 and must be submitted by the extended deadline of Saturday, March 25 2017 before midnight, Eastern Time.
Notifications of the results will be sent via e-mail within six weeks of the deadline. Please do not contact the gallery to check on the status of your application.
Contact us via email email@example.com or by phone 718-366-3661